Black Bean Chicken Burritos
I try to hide as many veggies as possible in these burritos. Another way I bump up the nutrition level is by using thinly sliced cabbage instead of regular iceberg lettuce. The filling freezes well, so double the recipe! —Jeni Pittard, Statham, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 4-6 minutes; drain and remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until lightly browned and crisp-tender, 2-4 minutes. Add jalapeno pepper and garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in beans, tomatoes, corn, seasonings and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Serve in tortillas, with optional toppings as desired.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 burrito: 325 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chicken Fajita Burritos in Simple & Delicious August/September 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.