Apple-Spice Acorn Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe baking dish. Add 1/2 in. of water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-13 minutes or until almost tender; drain.
- Combine the apple, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg; spoon into squash cavities. Dot with butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 6-8 minutes or until squash and apples are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 207 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.
Jan 27, 2012
PS, I made two acorn squash in 8" square glass pan, which is why the increase in the ingredients.
Jan 27, 2012
I have 1,000 watt microwave so cooking time was longer. 15 minutes face down, then the full 8 minutes when turned over. I added 3/4 c brown sugar to the mix and increased cinnamon and nutmet to 1/2 t. Served hot with cool whip on top. I did not have raisins, so used date bits instead and was a suitable substitute.
Nov 3, 2011
Made this tonight. I added just a little bit of brown sugar to the apple/raisin mixture. It was absolutely wonderful. Even my squash-phobic daughter truly enjoyed it! Thanks!
Jan 19, 2010
I made this recipe when friends were coming over and their kids gobbled it up! I did add some brown sugar to it. So easy to make and delicious!
Nov 15, 2009
Good, quick sidedish! The second time I made it, I added 2 teaspoons brown sugar.
Oct 21, 2009
this was a great recipe. I cooked mine in the oven and it worked well. I also drizzled a little honey on the apples and squash before it was cooked the second time. it really was good. a perfect fall recipe.
Nov 18, 2008
Would add a few calories but a little brown sugar would be good.