Spiced Hot Apple Cider
During cool-weather season, my husband and I take this soul-warming drink outside by the fire pit. Our house smells amazing while the cider is simmering! —Lisa Bynum, Brandon, Mississippi
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes10 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (about 1 inch), thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 quarts apple cider or juice
- Rum, optional
- Place first five ingredients on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spice mixture; tie securely with string.
- Place cider and spice bag in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, to allow flavors to blend, 2-3 hours. Discard spice bag. If desired, stir in rum.