Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in water and carrots; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, broth, chili powder, sugar, cumin and oregano; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, squash, tomatoes and ketchup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in beans and peas; simmer for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 182 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Jan 18, 2015
This recipe was just okay. I won't make it again, but appreciated trying a healthier chili variety. It was very tomato-y and sweet.
Jan 7, 2012
This is very filling, my husband makes it all the time!
Oct 20, 2010
I love this recipe! It is very hearty, freezes well, and pleases a crowd! I have made it for sevearl large groups and always get great comments on it. You can't go wrong with this recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.