With the abundance of beans, vegetables and flavor in this spicy chili, you'll never miss the meat! My family has been enjoying this meal for many years.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
Makes8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes. Add carrot, celery, green pepper and green onions; cook for 7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add mushrooms, olives and tomato paste; blend well. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for at least 3 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 125 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 747mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Vegetarian Chili in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.