Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup cubed Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup canned red beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large sweet peppers
- 3/4 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Place the first 12 ingredients in a large bowl; mix lightly to combine. Cut and discard tops from sweet peppers; remove seeds. Fill peppers with rice mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix spaghetti sauce and water; pour half of the mixture into an oval 5-qt. slow cooker. Add filled peppers. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until heated through and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed pepper: 261 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 815mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 31, 2018
Thought about stuffed peppers all summer since we haven't had them for years, except now would needed vegetarian stuffed peppers. So decided to try this recipe. Although the recipe calls out a 5-qt. cooker, purchased a 7-qt. cooker at Sears and that was a good idea! The six green peppers purchased at Safeway needed the 7-qt. cooker for space. We substituted a can of Muir Glen Organic diced tomatoes (Fire Roasted) for the tomatoes, and also sprinkled some tyme, oregano and rosemary on the peppers before cooking. These stuffed peppers tasted outstanding! Tasted even better the next day!
Mar 26, 2017
These were excellent. I loved the filling! I added chopped zucchini as opposed to the kidney beans. The crockpot cooked the peppers perfectly! I might reduce the amount of water next time though.
Mar 15, 2017
Jan 30, 2017
Made this recipe for the first time and it is absolutely fantabulous. Followed the recipe and it was very easy to make. I will definitely be making this again.
Mar 29, 2016
baked instead. used plain tomato sauce the second time I made it. froze leftover stuffing (we are only 2)and used as a side dish another time.
Feb 25, 2016
One of my favorite vegetarian recipes. Very delicious!
Aug 24, 2015
This was great. I increased the beans to a half a cup of each. I didn't have pinto beans so I substituted chickpeas and I'd do that again. For the sauce, I used a cup of vegetable broth, 3/4 cup of tomato sauce and a two tablespoons of tomato paste. I poured some of the mixture over each pepper and put the rest in the pan. I cooked for an hour on low heat on the stove.
Jul 23, 2015
YUK! I should have heeded the review that said it was only "edible" -- but it wasn't even that good. It took a LONG time to prepare; hubby finally gave me a hand. I will say this: the stuffing was excellent BEFORE I added the spaghetti sauce to it (following the advice of one of the reviewers), but the spaghetti sauce ruined it, conflicting with the taste of the stuffing. Last, but not least, the peppers were all wrong; both hubby and I threw them out. I would make the stuffing again if they didn't take so long to prepare, but, as hubby said, it's not worth it. This recipe got tossed out!
May 6, 2015
My family really likes this recipe. I usually half the stuffing and spread it between four peppers. I still have plenty left over. I tend to use a can of Italian-style diced tomatoes because it cuts down on the prep work, and adding a bit of sauce to the stuffing gives it more flavor.
Apr 28, 2015
We really enjoyed this and will definitely make this often, the only changes I made was I subsituted with pepper jack cheese and added 2 Tbsps of Worcester shire sauce. One note only four large peppers fit in my 6 qt slow cooker so next time I'll bake this in the oven. Easy and delicious!