Who needs salt when you can give breads, pasta, spaghetti sauce and other dishes an Italian flair. Learn what is in Italian seasoning with this distinctive dried herb blend. — Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 3 tablespoons each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place all ingredients, in batches if necessary, in a spice grinder or small bowl. Grind or crush with the back of a spoon until mixture becomes a coarse powder. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Nutrition Facts1/4 teaspoon: 1 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Italian Seasoning in Light & Tasty February/March 2004