Savory Italian Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes6-8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrot, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Gently stir in the tortellini, zucchini, green pepper and parsley. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Serve with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 233 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 919mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 18, 2014
yummy and simple! my family fights for the leftovers!
Mar 7, 2013
Fast, simple, satisfying comfort food!
Jan 24, 2013
<p>Absolutely LOVE this recipe! I add extra veggies...so YUMMY!
Feb 7, 2012
We used bulk Italian sausage, diced tomatoes instead of stewed & whole wheat tortellini. Yum!~ Theresa
Oct 31, 2010
Very yummy!!! I increased the veggies in it and paired it with garlic bread. I will make again and again.
Jan 10, 2010
I made some changes to the recipe.1 med. onion3-4 garlic cloves minced1 small summer squash sliced3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese.2 cans chicken stockAdd parmesan cheese when you add tomates, stock and herbs. Cook 30 minutesAdd squash and zucchini - cook 10 minutesAdd Tortellini, and cook 20-25 minutes.I get rave reviews each time I make it.
Dec 4, 2009
Very tasty and easy to make.