Favorite Italian Sausage Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and basil to sausage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add zucchini. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Combine broth and cornstarch until smooth; stir into stew. Simmer until vegetables are tender and stew is thickened, 5-10 minutes more. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 187 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 868mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 20, 2010
Yum... The recipe is very easy.. Yes I would make it again. I did ofcourse put my own twist to it. I added oregano, rosemary and fresh chopped spinach. With a loaf of crusty bread a family favorite.
Aug 23, 2009
I made this stew today and you're absolutely correct Jan - it's delicious and definitely a keeper. I was able to use fresh basil from my garden and I grated the zucchini and added it at the last minute. Anyway you make this will be a winner. Thank you for bumping it up.
Aug 14, 2009
We will be definately making this again. I made some changes, using what I had on hand. Used Spicy Italian sausage links, browned them in frypan, and cut them in ¼ inch slices.(Browning them before slicing helps them keep their shape.) Used 1 pint home canned tomatoes and added ¼ tsp oregano and ¼ tsp dried basil (in addition to the fresh basil in the recipe.) Omitted the zucchini, and added 1 pt. home canned green beans and about 10 quartered fresh mushrooms. Jan.
Feb 4, 2009
This is to die for! My co-worker and I use hot Italian sausage. Our husbands love it! It's been a regular on our menus for months now.