Italian Shredded Pork Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes9 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- Sour cream, optional
- Place the sweet potatoes, kale, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place roast on vegetables. Add the beans and seasonings. Pour broth over top. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, garnish with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without sour cream): 283 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 860mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 10, 2019
This was a hearty stew with a mild flavor, which I enjoyed. The seasonings are easy to adjust according to preference.
Oct 20, 2018
This was delicious with doctoring, but utterly bland as written and I'm rating it as such. I had to add in a lot more Better than Bouillon (powder would have worked too), onion powder, garlic, salt, and a bit of lemon. (I also think the nutrition info is bonkers.)
Mar 12, 2018
Made this last week and it was delicious ! Only thing I didn't put in was the kale and I used great northern beans.
Mar 7, 2016
This is a great easy recipe. The Kale and Sweet Potato are a healthy and delicious addition. It does require more seasoning. I will definitely be making this again.
Feb 18, 2016
Easy and delicious with healthy ingredients! This is a keeper!!
Feb 11, 2016
Sad to say, made according to directions we found this bland or ordinary. I added more garlic, a shake of red pepper flakes, onion powder, another 1/2 tsp of salt and it was more palatable.
Nov 16, 2012
This smelled so good we could hardly wait to dig into it! I took some to a homebound lady who ate two bowls right away and saved another bowl for later!! I seldom bring her something that really "hits her spot" so this was a thrill for me!!
Nov 12, 2012
What a unique taste this stew has. It's the sweet potatoes. It was wonderful. I did not have Kale so used a box of Green Giant frozen creamed spinich. I also threw in some lentils I had in the frig. It was an awesome stew and will make it again.