Italian Shredded Pork Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes9 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- Sour cream, optional
- Place the sweet potatoes, kale, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place roast on vegetables. Add the beans and seasonings. Pour broth over top. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, garnish with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without sour cream): 283 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 860mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Jan 10, 2019
This was a hearty stew with a mild flavor, which I enjoyed. The seasonings are easy to adjust according to preference.
Oct 20, 2018
This was delicious with doctoring, but utterly bland as written and I'm rating it as such. I had to add in a lot more Better than Bouillon (powder would have worked too), onion powder, garlic, salt, and a bit of lemon. (I also think the nutrition info is bonkers.)
Mar 12, 2018
Made this last week and it was delicious ! Only thing I didn't put in was the kale and I used great northern beans.
Mar 7, 2016
This is a great easy recipe. The Kale and Sweet Potato are a healthy and delicious addition. It does require more seasoning. I will definitely be making this again.
Feb 18, 2016
Easy and delicious with healthy ingredients! This is a keeper!!
Feb 11, 2016
Sad to say, made according to directions we found this bland or ordinary. I added more garlic, a shake of red pepper flakes, onion powder, another 1/2 tsp of salt and it was more palatable.
Nov 16, 2012
This smelled so good we could hardly wait to dig into it! I took some to a homebound lady who ate two bowls right away and saved another bowl for later!! I seldom bring her something that really "hits her spot" so this was a thrill for me!!
Nov 12, 2012
What a unique taste this stew has. It's the sweet potatoes. It was wonderful. I did not have Kale so used a box of Green Giant frozen creamed spinich. I also threw in some lentils I had in the frig. It was an awesome stew and will make it again.