Italian Beef Tortellini Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 small carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- In a large shallow dish, combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat. Shake off excess.
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in 2 tablespoon oil; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute the zucchini, onion, celery and carrots in remaining oil until tender. Add the garlic, oregano, basil and marjoram; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return beef to pan; add the tomatoes, broth, sugar and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beef is tender, 1-1/2 hours. Add tortellini and spinach. Return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until tortellini are tender, 7-9 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 416 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Jan 9, 2018
This Stew was hearty and delicious. The flour from the beef made the soup very think with almost a gravy like consistency. In the future, I think I will skip the flour step.
May 23, 2015
Didnt have any zucchini so threw in a few over veggies, good taste
Feb 12, 2014
Followed the recipe as written. Mine turned out quite soupy and the zucchini was mushy. Next time I think I will cut back on the crushed tomatoes and beef broth a bit and put the zucchini in when the tortellini and spinach is added.
May 19, 2012
We really enjoyed this and would make it again. The only problem was the tortellini got a bit mushy when reheating the leftovers, but that is to be expected I suppose. Nice & hearty!
Feb 21, 2012
This was absolutely fantastic. Such a hearty dish full of wonderful veggies. I didn't experience problems at all. The meat was so tender and the pasta and veggies were perfect. Definitely a keeper!!
Feb 1, 2012
The flavors in this dish were great, and I loved the combination of tortellini and beef. However, the beef stew meat that I used didn't get quite as tender as desired - I think I prefer the beef stew chunks to have a longer cooking time, perhaps in the slow cooker. Regardless, this was a tasty combination of veggies, meat, and pasta, and made for a delicious hearty dinner.
Jan 31, 2012
This was a very rich and hearty stew, perfect for a cold winter night. It was a perfect "all in one" meal with the assortment of vegetables, the pasta and the beef cubes. The only problem I had was that mine burned a little on the bottom of my Dutch oven. I think I will need to reduce the simmering time by about 15 minutes on my stove. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the dish and would make it again!