Beef Stew with Pasta
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes12 servings (5 quarts)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, optional
- 2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked ditalini or other small pasta
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- In a 7-qt. Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; brown half of the beef. Remove from pan. Repeat with additional oil and remaining beef.
- In same pan, saute carrots and onion in remaining oil until onion is tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, broth, beef and, if desired, parsley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in potatoes, beans and cheese; bring to a boil. Stir in ditalini. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until beef and vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach until wilted.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 342 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 999mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein.
Feb 12, 2017
This recipe was tasty, but I couldn't call it stew -- it was more like goulash with beef. The 1 1/2 cups of pasta made it very thick so there was very little "broth" left at all, even when I cut back on the potatoes and increased the liquids. While this recipe was good, it won't be a "go-to" stew recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.