Beef Stew with Pasta
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes12 servings (5 quarts)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, optional
- 2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked ditalini or other small pasta
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- In a 7-qt. Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; brown half of the beef. Remove from pan. Repeat with additional oil and remaining beef.
- In same pan, saute carrots and onion in remaining oil until onion is tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, broth, beef and, if desired, parsley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in potatoes, beans and cheese; bring to a boil. Stir in ditalini. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until beef and vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach until wilted.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 342 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 999mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 12, 2017
This recipe was tasty, but I couldn't call it stew -- it was more like goulash with beef. The 1 1/2 cups of pasta made it very thick so there was very little "broth" left at all, even when I cut back on the potatoes and increased the liquids. While this recipe was good, it won't be a "go-to" stew recipe.