Italian Beef Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup fresh Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 cup chopped fresh kale
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium-high heat, until browned, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook, covered, on low until carrots are tender, 5-6 hours.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 127 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Nov 26, 2019
I needed something easy for dinner the other night and tried this wonderful soup. I doubled the recipe and followed it exactly, except for the fact that I didn't have any Brussels Sprouts on hand, so I omitted them. Although I will definitely add them in next time, it was still delicious. This soup is rich and flavorful and super easy for a busy day. I did add kosher salt to taste at the end of cooking. Will definitely keep this soup in my slow cooker rotation!
Oct 5, 2019
The directions on how to make the soup are missing