Italian Cabbage Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 small head cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds), shredded
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, whisk together stock and tomato paste. Stir in vegetables, beans, garlic and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf. If desired, serve with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 111 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 12, 2015
I made this last night and it was fantastic. I added a chub of mild sausage and used half chicken, half beef stock and a couple cups of water because the final broth mixture was so concentrated. I cooked mine on the stove simply because time got away from me. I had one tiny cup left after feeding just 3 people. This is going in the keeper file.
Oct 1, 2015
I don't know how this won a contest. I followed the recipe exactly, and it was terrible. It was more the consistency of stew than soup, and weirdly all the same color. And it smelled like Sharpie markers. Skip this recipe! there are plenty of good ones, just not this.