Roast Beef Vegetable Soup
I'm currently retired and an Assistant Scout Master of a troop. I've taught boys to cook for 35 years. This is a nice recipe for teaching basic cooking skills. Plus, the soup cooks all day, leaving you free to do other things.—Earnest Riggs, Niles, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes12 servings (about 4 quarts)
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1-1/4 cups frozen baby lima beans
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil; drain. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 247 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 963mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.