Vegetable Beef Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes18-20 servings (6 quarts)
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Place roast in a large Dutch oven. Add the water, barley, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Skim fat from broth. Add beef and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 163 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 13, 2018
This soup had no taste at all. I had to add a bottle of V8 juice, beef broth and more, lots more, salt and pepper. Not sure what went wrong, I went back and double checked the recipe but was pretty sure I followed it to the letter. With the addition of the V8 and beef broth it is an ok soup. I will try another vegetale beeef soup recipe next time since Taste of Home usually is right on the mark with good recipes.
Jan 3, 2018
Delicious soup. I saut?ed onions, carrot, and celery and added potatoe as well.
Dec 25, 2015
This soup is delicious. It makes a really big amount. I was able to freeze some to enjoy later.
Nov 20, 2015
This was an overall good recipe but i think it was lacking flavor. A few quick tweaks to the spices and I feel that this will become a regular. I cooked it in my pressure cooker and it did a wonderful jo
Aug 8, 2015
Added some cabbage and loved it
Jul 12, 2014
The soup is great, however, I've made it two ways. One way with Ditalini (added in at the end) and the other way with Barley. In both versions I've used Progresso Beef Broth and Goya Beef bouillon and a packet of Beef Onion Gravy mix. The Ditalini version has better flavor by far. I also subbed out the tomatoes for a mixture of Del Monte diced tomato with Jalapeno and Del Monte Italian style stewed tomatoes. At the end added in a few shots of Worcestershire. The pasta version gives a flavor that matches the aroma, where the barley version seems to have a weaker flavor and aroma. In both version the finished product came out to 12 quarts.
Nov 25, 2012
Good recipe, but needs beef bouillon or broth added for flavor -without may lack taste & be "watery". Will use again with this modification