Hearty Beef Vegetable Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat. Meanwhile, place the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Drain meat; add to slow cooker. Combine the tomatoes, tapioca, basil, sugar, salt and pepper; pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 380 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Mar 17, 2014
Our favorite beef stew
Jan 7, 2013
The Vegetable Beef Stew was very tasty and very good to eat. Did not last very long in my house. Will make it again.
Jan 16, 2012
This is the best beef stew I have ever made. The sauce is thick and the unpeeled red potatoes taste great. I did not brown the beef first, but couldn't tell that it made any difference in flavor.
Aug 22, 2011
This is a new favorite for my family! Will definitely make it again. It's very hearty and delicious!
Apr 12, 2008
picture looks much better in magazine