The Best Beef Stew
Our recipe for the best beef stew has tons of flavor, thanks to its blend of herbs and the addition of red wine and balsamic vinegar. It’s a comfort classic stepped up a notch. —James Schend, Taste of Home Deputy Editor
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onions (about 2 large)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- In a small bowl, toss beef and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a large bowl, combine 4 tablespoons flour and paprika. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Stir in tomato paste, herbes de Provence and garlic; cook until fragrant and color starts to darken slightly. Add wine; cook until mixture just comes to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, 1 teaspoon rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is almost tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes, onions and carrots. Cover; simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes longer.
- Discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 2 tablespoon flour. Add cold water and vinegar; stir until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; add frozen peas. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. If desired, top with additional fresh rosemary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 366 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Herbed Beef Stew in Taste of Home October/November 2019