Comforting Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato paste. Gradually stir in broth until blended. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Add carrots and turnips; cook, covered, 30-40 minutes longer or until stew is thickened and beef and vegetables are tender. Stir in parsley.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 375 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1142mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2019
We loved this stew. This is a great way to use up turnips.
Oct 13, 2015
This was OK for us. I followed the recipe as written but we didn't think it had much flavor to it. I did add more salt and pepper to the broth but it still seemed like it was missing something.