Homemade Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast or boneless beef rump roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-2/3 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, seasonings and 1-1/2 cups water. Stir into beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine flour and remaining water; gradually stir into beef mixture. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 298 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 958mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Feb 18, 2011
I thought the taste was excellent. I used 1/2 price porterhouse steak and I added mushrooms.
Jun 23, 2008
It was very easy and good. Giving to a friend who can't cook so she can try it
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.