Homemade Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast or boneless beef rump roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-2/3 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, seasonings and 1-1/2 cups water. Stir into beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine flour and remaining water; gradually stir into beef mixture. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 298 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 958mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 18, 2011
I thought the taste was excellent. I used 1/2 price porterhouse steak and I added mushrooms.
Jun 23, 2008
It was very easy and good. Giving to a friend who can't cook so she can try it