Hearty Baked Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 slice bread, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, tapioca, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve in bowls.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 300 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 3, 2017
We have fixed this many times and it's perfect everytime!! We love it!!
May 24, 2017
My husband loved it and it was easy to prepare
Mar 2, 2015
Good stew; easy to prepare.
Jan 22, 2014
I use can deer meat and it works just as good.
Mar 21, 2013
Wonderful! Very filling, easy to put together. A great meal all by itself.
Jan 7, 2013
This is an easy way to make stew--I don't even bother to peel the potatoes and they come out just fine. The meat is tender, the veggies all cooked just right. My husband and I both love it. I do cut down on the salt a bit and it still tastes great.
Jan 4, 2013
I found this recipe years ago (about 14 years ago) and loved it! My Mom who hated beef stew loved this recipe. It's not a newly created dish but it is a family favorite here!
Oct 12, 2012
This recipe is comfort food for sure! Smells so good while baking - one of my family favorites!
Jun 6, 2012
making this again today
Apr 15, 2012
Delicious & simple!