Oven Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 2 -1/2 hours
- 1 beef top round roast (2 pounds), cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, cut into eighths
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or water
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beef, potatoes, onions, celery and carrots; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato juice, sherry or water, tapioca, sugar, salt, basil and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour over beef mixture. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Add the beans; cook 30 minutes longer or until beans and meat are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 268 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 519mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Jul 9, 2017
The stew taste great!!
Mar 17, 2013
This is the best stew Ive ever found. Easy to make. meat is so tender. I love it. Thank you
Oct 22, 2011
I always make this recipe in my slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours and add green beans during the last 30 minutes. The meat always comes out tender and delicious. My favorite stew during the cold winter months.
Sep 18, 2011
Been making this since it 1st came out in the magazine & it has become one of our favorite stew recipes! Wish it didn't have to cook quite so long but I'm sure that's why the vegies & meat are so tender & it has such a nice baked-in gravy! We like a little 'bite' so I do use the spicy V8 and I also use red wine instead of sherry. Its SO thick that its wonderful served over baking powder biscuits!
Feb 6, 2011
Had this at my MIL's last night! Baked some biscuits and we had a wonderful meal. That's why I'm here looking for the recipe. Look forward to fixin' here at home real soon.
Jan 1, 2011
I baked this soup for literally hours on end. The carrots, celery, even the onions never lost their hardness or crispness, but the meat did get tough. Thus, none of it turned out well. It also lacked seasoning. I felt like there was nothing special about it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.