Beef Stew Pie
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cubed cooked potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sliced cooked carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper. Add beef in batches; shake to coat. In a large skillet, saute beef in oil until browned. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add 1/4 cup water, stirring to scrape browned bits.
- Combine 1-1/2 cups water, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and basil; stir into skillet. Add bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine the remaining flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Discard bay leaf. Stir in potatoes, carrots and parsley. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry to fit dish. Place over filling; flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 1, 2017
We loved this meat pie!! Will try again!!
Feb 5, 2014
This recipe was excellent! I loved the thick gravy sauce that the beef was cooked in and my picky no-vegetable eater even cleared his plate this time!! Fairly easy and I had all of the ingredients on hand. My one small complaint is that it seemed like it took a long time to make, so prepare/plan ahead a little bit.
Nov 15, 2011
It was good, but would be better if it was between two crusts.
May 6, 2011
Actually I used this recipe as an inspiration--I made my own beef stew recipe and then put my favorite pie crust recipe on top. Then I baked it as written in this recipe. The crust was a nice finishing touch to the beef stew. I will definitely use this recipe again.
Feb 10, 2011
I recently made this on a cold, cold day and it was such a big, warming hit that I'm sure I will make it again soon. I like the previous reviewer's idea of making turnovers to freeze -- I will try that!
Nov 28, 2010
This recipe is awesome! Will definitely make again.
Jan 5, 2010
Good, maybe use a different seasoning and make turnovers to freeze.