- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cubed carrots
- 1 cup cubed peeled rutabaga
- 1 cup cubed peeled parsnips
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, vegetables, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
1-1/3 cup: 0g sugar total. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.