Root Vegetable Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cubed carrots
- 1 cup cubed peeled rutabaga
- 1 cup cubed peeled parsnips
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, vegetables, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cup: 0g sugar total. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 14, 2013
I've made this recipe several times, and it is delicious! My family didn't realize the number of different root vegetables that were in this dish. I don't usually keep stew beef at hand, so it is great that I can make a tasty meal with ground beef.
Apr 26, 2011
I had roasted this same combination of root veggies and had leftovers so I added them to the stew towards the end with stew meat. Love this stew yum!!
Jan 8, 2011
I used stew meat rather than ground beef bc that's what I had on hand. It was tasty. I had never had parsnips or rutabaga until now. The sweet potato is pured by the time the rest are done cooking. It was fine by me but if that wd bother you, add it to the pot late.