Hearty Cabbage Patch Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 11 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the cabbage, stewed tomatoes, beans, diced tomatoes, ketchup, chili powder, oregano, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until cabbage is tender.
- Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional ingredients): 214 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Jun 10, 2018
Very good and family approved! Possibly next time I might add sliced carrots too.
May 26, 2015
I really liked the cabbage for a change of pace. I am pretty pickie though to get more than an "average" review.
Dec 21, 2014
Awesome. Next time may use a little beer to make it saucier.
Nov 8, 2014
This is the best slow cooker recipe I've ever made! It's very flavorful and healthy too. Even my kids love it. I had to make it with less cabbage (about a pound) and only one can of stewed tomatoes because my slow cooker was getting too full. Oh- and I forgot to add the ketchup! I didn't make any other changes to the recipe and it turned out fine. Excellent even!!
Oct 16, 2014
Jan 24, 2014
May 26, 2013
This is super good and easy! Make sure you have a large slow cooker because there is a whole lot of cabbage in here that does shrink down some but when you first start cooking it, it takes up a lot of room. This has a tangy, sort of sour taste (in a good way). Lots of flavor. Added sour cream to my portion when I ate it but my boyfriend did not and he still liked it. Lots of protein without a lot of fat. The cabbage takes place of the noodles for less calories and cabbage is super good for you. I froze some of this and when I reheated those portions it was just as good. Recommend this recipe- thank you!
Sep 9, 2012
I wish I could give this 6 stars! Fantastic!
Apr 2, 2012
I hate cabbage... BUT THIS RECIPE IS AWESOME!. I'm a diabetic (type 1) and my husband brought this recipe home as a suggestion from a co-worker. I looked at the title and the ingredients and thought, "Eww... I'm NEVER gonna make this." But I love crock-pot recipes and this was so unusual that I figured I'd give it a try. I made it over and over again for 2 months straight. Even my 4-year-old requested it. Absolutely awesome with cheddar and sour cream on top. Tastes just as good re-heated in the microwave as it does fresh from the pot!
Jan 9, 2012
This was great. I served in with the sour cream and shredded cheddar on the side.