Potato and Cabbage Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 cups water
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the water, cabbage, potatoes, bouillon, pepper and garlic. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in ham; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 131 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 1078mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Feb 15, 2013
This soup is quite tasty, even though I modified the recipe a bit. Instead of bouillon granules I used left over ham gravy and water saved from cooking veggies. I also used only about 4 cups of water. I sautéed garlic instead of adding minced garlic. I'd make it again.
Oct 16, 2011
Delicious soup, even my husband who isn't crazy about cabbage loved it!
Jun 13, 2011
A bit salty will use less boulionne next time.
Dec 19, 2010
very delicious, but will use a thickener next time to make it more filling. Goes great with croissants.