Potato and Cabbage Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 cups water
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the water, cabbage, potatoes, bouillon, pepper and garlic. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in ham; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 131 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 1078mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2013
This soup is quite tasty, even though I modified the recipe a bit. Instead of bouillon granules I used left over ham gravy and water saved from cooking veggies. I also used only about 4 cups of water. I sautéed garlic instead of adding minced garlic. I'd make it again.
Oct 16, 2011
Delicious soup, even my husband who isn't crazy about cabbage loved it!
Jun 13, 2011
A bit salty will use less boulionne next time.
Dec 19, 2010
very delicious, but will use a thickener next time to make it more filling. Goes great with croissants.