Beefy Cabbage Bean Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 cups shredded cabbage or angel hair coleslaw mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup salsa or picante sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Transfer meat to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until cabbage is tender. If desired, top with shredded cheddar cheese and sliced jalapeno peppers.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 177 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Apr 21, 2019
Did I miss the part about adding liquid? If so, what and how much. The cabbage did not give off nearly enough liquid nor the undrained tomatoes.
Mar 18, 2019
Not the prettiest stew out there. But a really good taste to it. Make sure you at salt to this to bring out the flavors.
Dec 16, 2018
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I made it as per the recipe except for cooking 40 minutes on low on the stove instead of using the crockpot. It is great. Because I read the reviews where two people indicated the wanted more flavor and I also enjoy varied flavors, I added 1/2 t. chili powder, 1/8 t. ground red pepper, and 1 t. of dried oregano leaves. I plan to freeze some as stew or to eat as a burrito by heating the stew by sprinkling grated cheddar cheese on a tortilla while I microwave the stew and then pour it on the tortilla and fold the tortilla over.
Nov 4, 2015
This is pretty bland. Added sour cream and parmesan cheese to make it more tasty. Don't think I will make it again.
Nov 3, 2015
This was better than I thought it would be. It was pretty bland until I added some red pepper flakes, beef bouillon powder, salt and chili powder. We topped it with Italian blend of cheeses. This could be made more nutritious by adding more veggies, zucchini, celery, carrots.
Oct 28, 2015
This stew was a hit with my entire family, even a very picky 12 year old boy. I did make some small adjustments to the recipe. I used one pound of ground turkey, 2 peppers instead of one and two cans of tomato sauce instead of one. One of my sons suggested we sprinkle the top of the stew with shredded Mexican blend cheeses. And it was delicious. I will definitely be making again.