Curried Beef Stew
My mother, who was Japanese, made a dish very similar to this. After a lot of experimenting, I came up with a version that is very close to the one she used to make. This recipe is special to me because it brings back memories of my mother. —Gloria Gowins, Dalton, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 3/4 pound beef stew meat (1 to 1-1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; toss with flour. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; cook beef and onion until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in curry powder, soy sauce, bay leaves and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meat and vegetables are tender, 1 to 1-1/4 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves; stir in vinegar. If desired, serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 362 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 691mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Curried Beef Stew Over Steamed Rice in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.