Spicy Beef Vegetable Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless pasta sauce
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 177 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 675mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Oct 13, 2019
TOH needs a good proofreader!! I was searching for reviews of this recipe whose correct name is "Spicy Beef Vegetable SOUP", not "Stew", as per the 9-99 edition, p. 35, of Quick Cooking. I wasted time trying to find this recipe on TOH's website. Please double-check recipe titles before uploading them! By the way, I'm available to proofread! Lots of experience with recipes! Hint-hint. That said, this recipe is terrific. Only change I made was to add 3/4 cup of mild salsa to make up for the 24 oz. jar of spaghetti sauce I had on hand. My family loved it. Easy to assembly, too. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I apologize for complaining at the start of this review. But I know many of us here depend on the reviews to help us decide whether to serve a recipe. You folks do a terrific job!
Aug 12, 2019
I love all the flavors in this easy soup recipe. I love the smells coming from my kitchen after a long day at work, especially knowing that a filling and flavorful meal is ready to serve.
Apr 3, 2017
Amazing. I ended up modifying it a bit and I made it on the stove top. I added two shakes of red pepper flakes to give it a bit more of a kick. It was great the next day too.
Oct 25, 2011
Easy and quick to make with good flavor. I've been making it since the recipe came out in 1999.