Spicy Beef & Pepper Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 10 min.
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, toss beef with ginger, 2 garlic cloves, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk coconut milk, sugar, chili sauce, lime zest, lime juice and remaining salt until blended.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; stir-fry until no longer pink, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Stir-fry red pepper, red onion, jalapeno and remaining garlic in remaining oil just until vegetables are crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in coconut milk mixture; heat through. Add spinach and beef; cook until spinach is wilted and beef is heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 312 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 18, 2018
Used bean sprouts along with the other vegetables and added more Sriracha to taste! I had skirt steak to use so I trimmed it well and cut it into small strips across the grain. It's a delicious dish, and will make it again.
Jan 26, 2018
This recipe combines heat and spice with the calming sweetness of the coconut milk. We used roasted red peppers from a jar in place of fresh ones, with no significant difference. Sriracha hot sauce was a new ingredient to us, but it gave a nice kick to the dish. The 4 cups of spinach may seem like a lot, but when it wilts, it's just the right amount. This was a big hit with the whole family!
Sep 12, 2017
Packed full of flavor. One of our favorite stir frys and so easy! Left out spinach due to personal preference & increased peppers.
Mar 19, 2017
absolutely fantastic. my husband and i love thai food and we are always looking for recipes that incorporate those flavors. i just got a breville wok and wanted to try this. i followed the recipe except added some premade thai curry sauce(comes in small 4 oz tins in our local ethnic grocery store) to the coconut milk mixture. this was unbelievable. this was as good as if not better than many beef dishes we have had in restaurants. will try this next with shrimp and chicken. plus it was easy to make.
Jan 7, 2017
This was incredible! I loved the spicy sweet flavor. Nice change up from your standard stir fry.
Oct 2, 2016
This is really good. NIce and spicy. I might try this with chicken as well.
Aug 30, 2016
Oh my goodness, this was delicious! I used pickled jalapenos as that's what I had on hand. It reminds me of eating at HuHot - yum!
Aug 3, 2016
Fabulous, flavorful and healthy!
Aug 2, 2016
Nice spice. My family loves it. I am making it for the third time tonight.
Jun 27, 2015
Really good stir fry. My family is not found of coconut but we still loved this even with the coconut milk.