Ginger Beef Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 6 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, diagonally cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch, water and salt; toss with beef. In a small bowl, mix broth, soy sauce, sugar, orange zest and remaining cornstarch until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry half of the beef until browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan. Repeat with additional 2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef.
- Stir-fry carrots in remaining oil 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and, if desired, pepper flakes; cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir broth mixture and add to pan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in beef; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup beef mixture: 334 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 928mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
Mar 21, 2017
I loved the ginger flavor! And the hint of citrus! The only thing I changed was adding some more vegetables to the mix - some broccoli, bell peppers, etc. Quick and easy!
Sep 25, 2013
Did the orange juice really work out? @Wasoongu
Jun 10, 2012
The stars aren't showing up for me to rate this recipe, but I give it four stars. I made a batch for my dad and husband and they ate it all -- no leftovers. I added onion, garlic, and broccoli. And crushed red pepper. I also realized at the last minute that I didn't have any oranges, so I added about 1/4 cup orange juice. I did serve with the suggested side dish (zesty sugar snap peas) and they disappeared as well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.