Ginger Chicken and Quinoa Stew
This Asian-inspired one-pot chicken dinner is healthy and tasty. You can serve it hot, cold or at room temperature. &mash; Doris Kwon, Newport Coast, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine) or sherry
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Place the chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with quinoa, onion and peppers. In a small bowl, whisk the broth, honey, soy sauce, mirin, ginger, garlic and pepper flakes; pour into slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Serve with pineapple, green onions and sesame seeds.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 373 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Crock pot Asian Chicken with Quinoa and Vegetables in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019