Cashew Chicken with Ginger
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup salted cashews
- Hot cooked rice
- Mix first four ingredients until smooth. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry chicken until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry mushrooms, pepper, water chestnuts and ginger until pepper is crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir broth mixture and add to pan with green onions; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and cashews; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup chicken mixture: 349 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 fat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 17, 2019
I followed the suggestion of one of the other reviewers and pre-marinated the chicken, but only had time for an hour. I also replaced the bell pepper with snow peas, as we're not big on bell pepper, replaced the soy sauce with low sodium Tamari (gluten free) and replaced the cornstarch with arrowroot powder (dairy free). Oh yeah, and because we looove ginger, I doubled that. Really good and easy. Family loved it!
Feb 15, 2019
This was a very easy and satisfying recipe. We can't eat green peppers, for I put diced carrots. I really liked the sweet and salty flavor.
Feb 12, 2019
A favorite go to dinner for a family of 5.
Jan 14, 2019
It was very good. My husband really liked it and he is difficult to lease. Next time I will add snow peas to the mix. Also, we used less salt soy and needed to add more.
Apr 1, 2018
Made the recipe as shown but added dry Asian noodles along with the rice. I used a 'less salt soy and it was delicious... as good as our favorite Asian restaurant.....Will make again for sure.
Feb 21, 2018
Can this recipe be frozen? We loved it
Oct 29, 2017
This recipe was excellent. Since my family does not like things too salty, I did cut the soy sauce by half.That is the only adjustment I made and I have never had better Cashew Chicken!
Oct 18, 2017
This recipe is very easy and quite tasty! Everyone loved it! I'll be making this one again!
Apr 23, 2017
After reading reviews about blandness, I changed a few things in this really great basic recipe. I marinated the cut up chicken pieces in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, and sriracha sauce for several hours. When I stir fried, I added more fresh garlic (three small cloves crushed?) and another squeeze of sriracha. I also followed the suggestion of adding the green onion at the end. Turned out fantastic.
Apr 12, 2017
My Husband really liked this dish. The only thing I would recommend is if you like ginger you may want to add a little more. We love fresh ginger, therefore we were craving more ginger flavor. I also did not have a green pepper on hand so I julieanned some carrots which turned out well and added a nice hue to the dish.