Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 pound), skin removed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (about 2 inches), peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked rice and minced fresh cilantro
- Place chicken, carrots and green onions in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, vinegar, coriander and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour juices into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and rice; sprinkle servings with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without rice): 346 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 1362mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 40g protein.
Oct 21, 2016
This was good but I have had better chicken dishes and family was not impressed. I will be giving it 1 more chance as I am finally ditching by 40 year old slow cooker for a new model. I am hoping that will make a difference in the taste of all my slow cooker recipes.
Mar 16, 2016
I doubled the recipe, using 5 lbs of drumsticks. I didn't have balsamic vinegar so used red wine vinegar with a bit of sugar added. I used 2 tsp ground ginger instead of gingerroot & omitted coriander. Yummy!- Theresa
Jan 9, 2015
Yummo! Excellent flavor combo. Didn't have fresh, so used powdered ginger. Will use fresh next time. Hardest part was "skinning" the chicken. Added more balsamic cuz I love it. Family loved it as well. Will definitely make this again!
Oct 6, 2014
We weren't huge fans of this one. Seemed a bit bland/boring.
Feb 7, 2014
So great so easy!!!!
Jan 21, 2014
This was a delicious recipe. I used a pound of skinless chicken breasts and it turned out really tender. The chicken was very flavorful, but I added a teaspoon of Italian seasonings and an extra tablespoon of balsamic vinegar for added zest. I may add some additional carrots next time, as well. Overall, this was a savory chicken dish.
Jan 26, 2013
Really good! The only thing I would do differently next time would be to add some stir fry veggies. Something to add a bit of crunch and freshness. Fair warning--the smell will make you hungry ALL DAY!!
Jan 25, 2013
Very, very good....smells wonderful in the house when it's cooking. The flavors all blend beautifully.