Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 pound), skin removed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (about 2 inches), peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked rice and minced fresh cilantro
- Place chicken, carrots and green onions in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, vinegar, coriander and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour juices into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and rice; sprinkle servings with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without rice): 346 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 1362mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 40g protein.
Oct 21, 2016
This was good but I have had better chicken dishes and family was not impressed. I will be giving it 1 more chance as I am finally ditching by 40 year old slow cooker for a new model. I am hoping that will make a difference in the taste of all my slow cooker recipes.
Mar 16, 2016
I doubled the recipe, using 5 lbs of drumsticks. I didn't have balsamic vinegar so used red wine vinegar with a bit of sugar added. I used 2 tsp ground ginger instead of gingerroot & omitted coriander. Yummy!- Theresa
Jan 9, 2015
Yummo! Excellent flavor combo. Didn't have fresh, so used powdered ginger. Will use fresh next time. Hardest part was "skinning" the chicken. Added more balsamic cuz I love it. Family loved it as well. Will definitely make this again!
Oct 6, 2014
We weren't huge fans of this one. Seemed a bit bland/boring.
Feb 7, 2014
So great so easy!!!!
Jan 21, 2014
This was a delicious recipe. I used a pound of skinless chicken breasts and it turned out really tender. The chicken was very flavorful, but I added a teaspoon of Italian seasonings and an extra tablespoon of balsamic vinegar for added zest. I may add some additional carrots next time, as well. Overall, this was a savory chicken dish.
Jan 26, 2013
Really good! The only thing I would do differently next time would be to add some stir fry veggies. Something to add a bit of crunch and freshness. Fair warning--the smell will make you hungry ALL DAY!!
Jan 25, 2013
Very, very good....smells wonderful in the house when it's cooking. The flavors all blend beautifully.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.