Ginger-Cashew Chicken Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Broil: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 10 cups)
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chow mein noodles
- 3/4 cup salted cashews, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a small bowl, whisk the first 7 ingredients until blended. Pour 3/4 cup marinade into a large shallow dish. Add chicken; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Preheat broiler. Drain chicken, discarding marinade in dish. Place chicken in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Broil 4-6 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°. Cut chicken into strips.
- Place spinach on a serving platter. Arrange chicken, oranges, cabbage, carrots and green onions on top. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles, cashews and sesame seeds. Stir reserved molasses mixture; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 379 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fat, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Apr 24, 2019
This is a GREAT meal!! There are a lot of ingredients but we have even served this as a guest meal with bread and dessert. Very good!!
Mar 4, 2019
This rating is based solely on the dressing. We already had leftover teriyaki chicken, and wanted to use it on a salad, so I threw together this dressing and voila! Very delicious! It's more on the thinner side, like a vinaigrette. I'd make this again.
May 25, 2018
Ohhhh so very good! The dressing is perfect to combine all the flavors from sweet, salty to the gingery bite. The fresh ginger gives it great flavor and i can't imagine it would be as delicious when made with the dried spice. I've made it twice now and will adding it to my normal rotation.
Sep 24, 2017
Excellent recipe. The dressing is great and the chicken was wonderful. Perfect flavor combination.
Sep 29, 2015
Instead of making my own dressing, I used Panera brand Caesar Dressing; and added peanuts instead of cashew pieces. Delicious! Thank you, Shelly, for sharing your recipe; and congratulations for having your recipe chosen for the Sept/Oct issue.
Aug 13, 2015
This recipe is easy and delicious. I did not have molasses, so I use 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Also, I did not have fresh ginger, so I used 1 teaspoon ground ginger. I cut the chicken in bite size pieces, before I marinated, and I saut?ed the chicken in a skillet on top of the stove, instead of broiling. I was a keeper, as my husband told me. We will making this several this summer.