Chicken Fajita Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min. + marinating
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1 cup unblanched almonds, toasted
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and oregano. Pour half in a large bowl or dish; add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil on medium-high. Saute onion for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Add chicken to skillet; stir-fry until meat is no longer pink. Add the red pepper, chiles and reserved marinade; cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in almonds. Serve immediately over shredded lettuce; top with tomatoes and avocado.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 372 calories, 26g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Mar 4, 2018
Easy, tasteful, and healthy!Can't believe I haven't reviewed this recipe yet, as I have used it so many times! For a quick salad with most ingredients I always have on hand. You can spice it up a bit with spicier salsas.
Jul 24, 2013
Heaven on Earth!
Sep 4, 2012
This was great. I used pre cooked chicken.
Dec 7, 2011
I use just the marinated chicken for fajitas--delicious!
Jun 12, 2010
A long-time favorite that I have made so many times I had forgotten where I got the recipe. Glad to run across 'the original' again! For some reason I never got in the habit of including the toasted almonds, but it sounds good so I'll try it with them next time.