Chicken Fajita Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min. + marinating
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1 cup unblanched almonds, toasted
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and oregano. Pour half in a large bowl or dish; add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil on medium-high. Saute onion for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain and discard marinade. Add chicken to skillet; stir-fry until meat is no longer pink. Add the red pepper, chiles and reserved marinade; cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in almonds. Serve immediately over shredded lettuce; top with tomatoes and avocado.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 372 calories, 26g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 4, 2018
Easy, tasteful, and healthy!Can't believe I haven't reviewed this recipe yet, as I have used it so many times! For a quick salad with most ingredients I always have on hand. You can spice it up a bit with spicier salsas.
Jul 24, 2013
Heaven on Earth!
Sep 4, 2012
This was great. I used pre cooked chicken.
Dec 7, 2011
I use just the marinated chicken for fajitas--delicious!
Jun 12, 2010
A long-time favorite that I have made so many times I had forgotten where I got the recipe. Glad to run across 'the original' again! For some reason I never got in the habit of including the toasted almonds, but it sounds good so I'll try it with them next time.