Chicken Fajita Chowder
This south-of-the-border chowder is one of my favorite slow cooker recipes, and it's a winner at family dinners and potlucks alike. We like ours topped with fresh avocado, shredded cheddar cheese and chili cheese corn chips. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces fully cooked Spanish chorizo links, sliced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 envelope fajita seasoning mix
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- Cubed avocado and additional cilantro, optional
- Place first twelve ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours.
- Stir in cheese soup; heat through. If desired, top servings with avocado and additional cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 269 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1069mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Fajita Chowder in Simple & Delicious February/March 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.