Best Ever Chicken Fajita Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (10 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup sour cream
- Tortilla chips and minced fresh chives, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook and stir the chicken, peppers and onion in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the water, corn, rice, enchilada sauce, chiles and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and sour cream until cheese is melted. Serve with chips and chives if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 477 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 579mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 29, 2017
This has been my daughter's favorite soup for years. I use chicken broth instead of water, as others have noted, and I use less sour cream. It's always delicious.
Mar 18, 2012
This chowder is wonderful!! I served it along with Southwest Fish Tacos and the combo was great. The only changes I made to the recipe was that I used a quart of chicken broth instead of the water, and I replaced the brown rice with a 15 oz. can of black beans. For a garnish, I used extra cheese and chopped tomatoes. Yummy!!
Jan 9, 2012
This was so delicious! I made a few changes due to ease of making and others' suggestions. I used 4 cups of chicken stock, a full can of green enchilada sauce, added a can of pinto beans (drained and rinsed), and a full can of green chilies (I use whole chilies, not chopped, because there are no stems). We also did not use the cheese, in the chowder or on top, because it's so rich and delicious without it! Thanks for sharing!
Nov 8, 2011
Absolutely delicious. My family loved it.
Nov 7, 2011
I love this recipe. I doubled the green enchilada sauce and it came out great. More like a green enchilada chowder!
Oct 6, 2011
The whole family loved this soup. I used twice the chicken called for. We used the sour cream and cheese according to the directions but if you don't have them, the soup would still be great. I will omit the sour cream next time and sprinkle the cheese on top of each individual serving.
Sep 17, 2011
I made just a couple of changes, I added some cumin and instead of water I used chicken broth. It came out amazing!!! There are no leftovers in my house when I cook this
Aug 15, 2011
I thought it was a bit bland.
Apr 24, 2011
this was yummy and fairly easy to make! The leftovers heat up really well, which is important to me since I cook for two!
Apr 9, 2011
This was a great meal on a cold damp evening! I like mild so I didn't add the chilies. It was perfect!