Fiesta Chicken Chowder
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope fajita seasoning, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning; add chicken. Seal bag and shake to coat. In a large saucepan, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, beans, tomatoes, corn, rice, chilies and remaining fajita seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the soup, cilantro, lime juice and chicken; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 952mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Mar 7, 2019
We loved this chowder! I doubled the recipe and instead of using stewed tomatoes and green chiles, I used two cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles. I also substituted fresh parsley for the cilantro since that's what I had on hand. I had chicken broth in the fridge that needed to be used, so I substituted that for the water. This is a really tasty soup - and very hearty! We garnished ours with a dollop of sour cream and tortilla chips. Will definitely keep this recipe handy!
Oct 3, 2015
Really love this recipe. One of my favorite soup/chowder recipes to make. Really great with crushed up tortilla chips on top of it.
Aug 11, 2015
This recipe is awesome, even better the next day! Wished I could have gave it 10 stars.
Jul 29, 2014
Delicious! I even bought regular corn by mistake and the flavor was great. I will definitely be making this one again!
Feb 19, 2014
We loved this. Will make again. Thanks for the recipe!
Oct 11, 2013
Really, really enjoyed this. My husband couldn't keep his spoon out of the soup pot! It was very easy to make and a very filling meal. I made my own fajita seasoning and it was just the right amount of spice.
Aug 5, 2013
Very delicious, but was too peppery to thoroughly enjoy. I don't know if it was the Rotel I used because I couldn't find Mexican stewed tomatoes, or the fajita mix. Any ideas out there? Will definitely make it again, but will try mild taco seasoning instead. Our mouths were on fire! lol lol
Jun 17, 2013
This recipe is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. It's in my recipe keeper permanently.
May 29, 2013
This was EXCELLENT!! I loved it and will definitely make again. The flavors blended perfectly. I didn't have Mexicorn, so I just used regular canned corn. I also accidentally added one packet of taco seasoning to the chicken/flour mixture instead of 2 TB. I'd serve this with mexican cornbread, and tortilla chips, and sour cream on the side! To make it easier, I just put 3 or 4 frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot, threw the rest of the ingredients in, and let it cook on high for 5 hours. Perfect and so easy.
Nov 19, 2012
I cooked mine in a crock-pot and it was so delicious. Will definately make over & over.