Fiesta Chorizo-Chicken Soup
Just place some crusty rolls on the table when you serve this soup and you'll have a hearty, comforting meal that will chase away winter's chill. The slightly spicy soup is chock-full of veggies.—Kathy Rodenbeck, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes12 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo, casings removed, or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Crumble chorizo into a Dutch oven. Add the carrots, onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until chorizo is fully cooked. Drain; remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the chicken, salt and pepper in oil until no longer pink. Add sweet potatoes, corn and red pepper; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the chorizo mixture, broth, beans, tomatoes, V8 juice and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in spinach; cook until wilted.