Fiesta Chorizo-Chicken Soup
Just place some crusty rolls on the table when you serve this soup and you'll have a hearty, comforting meal that will chase away winter's chill. The slightly spicy soup is chock-full of veggies.—Kathy Rodenbeck, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes12 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo, casings removed or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Crumble chorizo into a Dutch oven. Add the carrots, onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until chorizo is fully cooked. Drain; remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the chicken, salt and pepper in oil until no longer pink. Add sweet potatoes, corn and red pepper; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the chorizo mixture, broth, beans, tomatoes, V8 juice and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in spinach; cook until wilted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 336 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1190mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Fiesta chicken Soup in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.