Cheesy Chicken Chowder
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese, stirring until melted; add to broth along with chicken. Cook and stir until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 322 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1100mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 31, 2019
I first made this recipe on June 18, 1993--I have most of the TOH issues since it first came out in early 1993
Jan 29, 2019
Very good recipe
Mar 16, 2018
I make a chicken corn chowder that is very similar to this recipe. I add frozen corn ,a can of cream corn and I shred the chicken. Also add some dried basil. It's delicious.
Jan 29, 2018
I love recipes where I don't have to put any ingredients on my shopping list; they become "go to" recipes when you need to put together a quick, hearty meal. This soup is such a nice change from chicken noodle or chicken rice soup. I did add one more cup of broth than the recipe called for; I used canned broth and would have had about 1 cup left over from the 2 cans I opened so I just added the extra and it tasted great. Very flavorful and definitely fits my guidelines for comfort food. I am so glad there were leftovers for tomorrow night! Salad, French bread or hearty sandwich and soup: perfect!
Jan 25, 2018
Jan 15, 2018
I have been making this recipe for years, my whole family loves it, now my daughters make it for their families. It is easy and delicious! Definitely a keeper!
Oct 13, 2017
Yummy, this soup is delicious and a definite keeper! As I do with all my chicken soups, I added a bay leaf, a bit of sage, thyme and rosemary; these herbs add wonderful depth of flavour.
Jun 24, 2017
We always double this recipe because it is plain old-fashioned goodness. One recipe is not enough!
Apr 7, 2017
This lacks a little bit in flavor, so I made sure to season my chicken with garlic, onion, salt and pepper before adding it to the chowder. Everyone loved this so I will be making it again.
Oct 30, 2016
Easy, quick, and delicious. Just to try and cut down on the carbs a little I only used 1 T of flour along with 2 c of heavy whipping cream instead of the milk. Also did not have chicken broth so I used 3 c water with 2 bouillon cubes and omitted salt. It was perfect!