Cheesy Chicken Chowder
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese, stirring until melted; add to broth along with chicken. Cook and stir until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 322 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1100mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Jan 25, 2020
When I saw this I knew it would be a wonderful soup. Reviewers varied as to whether they like the flavor as is or with a bit more flavor so I added 1/2 t. garlic powder, 1/4 t. crushed rosemary, and 1/4 t. marjoram. And, I cooked the vegetables and broth in the crockpot for two hours; then proceeded with the sauce and cheese. Loved it! The second time I made it without the chicken, adding another potato
Nov 25, 2019
Easy to make and delicious on a cold winter day in N.H.
Apr 30, 2019
Great recipe and easy to make!
Jan 31, 2019
I first made this recipe on June 18, 1993--I have most of the TOH issues since it first came out in early 1993
Mar 16, 2018
I make a chicken corn chowder that is very similar to this recipe. I add frozen corn ,a can of cream corn and I shred the chicken. Also add some dried basil. It's delicious.
Jan 29, 2018
I love recipes where I don't have to put any ingredients on my shopping list; they become "go to" recipes when you need to put together a quick, hearty meal. This soup is such a nice change from chicken noodle or chicken rice soup. I did add one more cup of broth than the recipe called for; I used canned broth and would have had about 1 cup left over from the 2 cans I opened so I just added the extra and it tasted great. Very flavorful and definitely fits my guidelines for comfort food. I am so glad there were leftovers for tomorrow night! Salad, French bread or hearty sandwich and soup: perfect!
Jan 25, 2018
Jan 15, 2018
I have been making this recipe for years, my whole family loves it, now my daughters make it for their families. It is easy and delicious! Definitely a keeper!
Oct 13, 2017
Yummy, this soup is delicious and a definite keeper! As I do with all my chicken soups, I added a bay leaf, a bit of sage, thyme and rosemary; these herbs add wonderful depth of flavour.
Jun 24, 2017
We always double this recipe because it is plain old-fashioned goodness. One recipe is not enough!