Fiesta Ham Soup
Chowders are a scrumptious way to warm the spirits during the holidays. Our festive soup is brimming with ham, green chilies, potatoes and corn. —Cathy Hastie, Auburn, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add potatoes, ham, chilies, parsley and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in corn, milk and cheese; heat through. If desired, serve with sour cream.
Originally published as Fiesta Chowder in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015