Fiesta Ham Soup
Chowders are a scrumptious way to warm the spirits during the holidays. Our festive soup is brimming with ham, green chilies, potatoes and corn. —Cathy Hastie, Auburn, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add potatoes, ham, chilies, parsley and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in corn, milk and cheese; heat through. If desired, serve with sour cream.
Originally published as Fiesta Chowder in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.