Mexican Chicken Tortilla Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-serve roasted chicken breast strips, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 flour tortillas (8 inches), cut into 2-inch x 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the soups, milk and broth. Heat through, stirring frequently. Add the corn, chicken and chilies; bring to a boil. Stir in tortilla strips. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 280 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 1569mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Mar 18, 2014
Good but added spices like garlic chili powder cumin and fresh chopped onion then added regular corn and black beans and used tortilla chips when serving it. I used roasted chicken and Also i omitted can chilies and used 1/2 c pepper jack cheese and 1/2 c velveeta.
Nov 22, 2013
Very easy, very good and will make it again! It was a cold snowy night here so it was perfect to warm us up. The only changes I made were adding black beans instead of mexi-corn since, believe it or not, the family doesn't care for the corn. I also used corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas because that is all I had. I didn't have the ready-to-serve chicken strips so I just baked a large chicken breast and cut it in strips . . . worked just fine. This will be one of our favorites! Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Oct 17, 2013
Very easy and very good! Made just as directed . :-)
Oct 17, 2012
OK, OK, so I know this soup is outrageoously high in sodium content. That said, it was delicious! It was fast, easy and tasty. I used cooked chicken that I had on hand and followed the recipe without any variations. My husband liked it so much that he swiped my new Taste of Home soup cookbook that I haven't even had a chance to read through yet and tucked it into his lunch bag so that he could take the recipe to work tomorrow and copy it for his staff. You might try using the reduced sodium soups if sodium content is a concern.
Jun 3, 2012
It was ok.
Jan 31, 2012
Very easy and very good. It makes a lot and I have frozen some of it and used it later. My family enjoys it.
Jan 23, 2012
This recipe is very easy and the end result is so good! I followed most of the directions but changed the following:-Instead of chicken breast strips, I used 2 cans of white meat chicken-Instead of canned green chilies, I used frozen Hot green chili-I added Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Salt for extra flavor-I used a steamed corn mix instead of canned Mexicorn-I didn't add tortilla strips because we prefer to eat them on the sideThe end product was creamy, slightly spicier, and hearty!
Jan 16, 2012
Delicious and very easy to make!
Jan 12, 2012
This was so quick and easy, was a great meal on a cold night. The only thing I did different was I used left over chicken breast. Will make again for sure!
Jan 11, 2012
I doubled this recipe & had tons of raves! I followed the directions exactly as written. A surprisingly delicious soup!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.