Chicken Tortilla Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 4 flour tortillas (6 to 7 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the broth, soups and milk. Stir in the chicken, corn, mushrooms, chilies and onions. Bring to a boil. Add the tortilla strips. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Add cheese; stir just until melted. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 256 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1132mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 10, 2018
Loved this! I did omit the mushrooms (not that we don’t like them, it just didn’t sound good in this). I used the corn with poblanos for extra heat. Oh, and used canned chicken for ease. Probably would be a lot better if I used rotisserie but still very good!
Nov 14, 2017
This stuff is delicious. One of my favorite recipes.
Jun 14, 2014
Very hearty. Family loved it.
Jan 23, 2013
Very good! Added a little taco seasoning for more mexican flavor, skipped the mushrooms to please the youngsters.
Nov 27, 2012
This soup is okay for a base, but didn't taste Mexican enough for me. To make it my own I added a bit of canned tomato soup, a package of quick cooking Mexican rice (Rice Sides brand), and a small amount of some Chipotle marinade dry mix that I had. Used frozen sweet corn since that's what I had, and a small bit of chili powder to spice it up. Topped with crumbled chips and sour cream!
Feb 1, 2011
Really good soup! It tastes best after it sits a couple of hours. I just make the soup without adding the tortillas and let it cool. Just before serving, I add the tortillas and reheat it. It gets a lot more flavor this way.
Dec 27, 2008
This is a very good chowder, I think next time I will add a little heat by adding slices of jalepenos.
Nov 24, 2008
This is great we love it and it is so easy. My son asks for it every week.
Nov 17, 2008
This is amazing! It's my new fav and everyone wants the recipe!
Nov 12, 2008
love this recipe it's easy and so good.jenn c.