Flavorful Chicken Fajitas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Cook: 10 min.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional: Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and seasonings; add the chicken. Turn to coat; cover. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, saute peppers and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through.
- Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. If desired, serve with toppings.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 fajita: 369 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 689mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat.
Feb 3, 2020
Jan 27, 2020
Made it tonight. Everyone enjoyed it. I will definitely make this again
Jan 26, 2020
Very flavorful. An easy make We really enjoyed it .
Jan 22, 2020
Hi- Can I put all ingredients in crockpot to cook? Have you tried that?
Jan 22, 2020
The whole family loves this one. I have made it using lemon juice in the marinade and like juice another time when we didn’t have any lemons. Great both ways.
Jan 14, 2020
What do you use for seasoned salt?
Jan 1, 2020
I’ve made these fajitas several times and we just LOVE them. The only changes I make to this recipe are that I use lime rather than lemon juice and I use a little more red pepper flakes to add a little more heat. I always make extra (sometimes even doubling the recipe) because we really like to eat it the next morning with eggs. Sometimes, we’ll mix the chicken, onions and peppers with beaten up eggs in a skillet and just scramble it all together. Sometimes, we’ll just warm the chicken, onions and peppers in a skillet and then serve it with an over easy egg or two right on top. YUM!
Dec 28, 2019
Excellent well rounded, full flavored recipe. Split between both chicken and flank steak. Will definitely make again. Home run.
Dec 10, 2019
Extremely delicious, satisfies my cravings for restaurant Mexican food. I think marinating with the lemon juice makes a big difference.
Nov 25, 2019
My family loves when I make this for dinner. The flavor is really good and I usually don’t have time to marinate the chicken for no longer than 30 min and it still comes out good. I’m sure if I took the time to marinate it longer the flavors would be even better but I’m fine with how it turns out.