Flavorful Chicken Fajitas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Cook: 5 min.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and seasonings; add the chicken. Turn to coat; cover. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through.
- Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. Serve with toppings as desired.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 fajita: 369 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 689mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 28, 2018
"Until crisp and tender"? It's one or the other!
Jul 13, 2018
I have been making these for a few years now and they are ALWAYS a great meal. You really don't need to change anything with this recipe, just follow it and enjoy.
Jun 24, 2018
I have tried so many different fajita recipes and it seemed nothing was ever good enough. This is the best recipe for fajitas so far and ive been looking a long time. I didn't follow the directions exactly though. I used chicken I had precooked, dumped it into marinade for about 10 min tops while I sliced veggies. Then I put the chicken in a hot skillet with all the marinade. Let it heat a min before tossing in all the peppers and onion. Then I cooked it all til my preferred doneness of veggies.
Jun 18, 2018
Am try to make it
Jun 15, 2018
I have made this dish twice a week and hubby loves it more than i do. It isgoing to be a stable dish in myhouse now. And i am never ever ordering fajita in resturants anymore. It is so easy, convinent and delicious dish. Thank you for the receipe.
May 22, 2018
I made this recipe hundreds of times starting back in 2000 when it first appeared in the magazine AND I was a newlywed. My 13-year-old likes it and my 8-year-old just started to like it. I just leave out the crushed red pepper flakes and I use red onion. This recipe is in regular rotation in this house.
May 9, 2018
Successful weekday dinner!!! Super delicious and easy to make. I would know... I am not the best cook lol.
May 8, 2018
I was skeptical of this recipe but it was so flavorful and delicious! A hit with even my picky 5 year old! I will for sure be making this again!
May 5, 2018
I made this and added shredded cabbage to the sauteed peppers and onions. I did add extra onions and peppers. I also added slightly more crushed red peppers. We absolutely loved this recipe. There is something about the lemon flavor that we liked. The hub went for seconds and said you can make a lot.
May 2, 2018
When your three year old son who only eats chicken nuggets says “this chicken is yummy mommy” you know you have a winner. This is a real delicious dish. I make it often now because it’s also so simple. Great quick weekday meal.