Flavorful Chicken Fajitas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Cook: 10 min.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional: Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and seasonings; add the chicken. Turn to coat; cover. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, saute peppers and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through.
- Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. If desired, serve with toppings.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 fajita: 369 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 689mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat.
Oct 11, 2019
This is a solid marinade. I added a tablespoon of vinegar and a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for some spice and it turned out awesome. I marinated for 3 hours. It was a bit salty though, so I might bring it down to 1 teaspoon next time fyi.
Sep 16, 2019
I used the recipe as a starting point and it turned out incredible. First I added 1 Teaspoon each of ground cayenne, ground ancho chile, and ground chipotle chile. This gave it a deeper smokie chili flavor without adding much heat. Since a added more powders I also increased the oil to make it into a nice marinade paiste. I pounded out the chicken breasts so they were equal in thickness and evenly spread the paiste over them. When cooking the chicken I started with a very hot grill and cooked them for a minute and a half on each side, removed them and let them rest of 20 minutes. This left the chicken with nice grill marks and raw in the center. I then sliced them into even stips and finished the cooking with the vegatables. By cooking the chicken twice I could control the timing of the fajitas for the party we were having.
Sep 11, 2019
I only marinated for 30 minutes and it turned out delicious, next time will marinate longer. I did add chicken broth to pan to cook a bit longer to make sure it was well done and it came out very moist. Cooked it till broth was cooked up and then added veggies to fry up chicken.
Sep 6, 2019
I am not what you would call a professional cook, so making fajitas for the first time was nerve-wracking. But following this recipe and tweaking it to my liking, they were absolutely amazing! Even my mom enjoyed it, and she absolutely despises onions! They were 10x more delicious and flavourful than any fajita I've had at a Mexican restaurant, and a huge improvement compared to our local one. Personally, I used more lemon juice and a little less cummin. But since i like a little spice, I used a garlic jalapeno and even fresh jalapeno slices to give it an extra zing. Fresh cilantro chopped up really gives it an extra oomph too! I've made it twice now and both times it's came out super delicious!
Aug 29, 2019
By FAR the best fajitas ever! Tweaked the cumin a little to our liking and used 1 T/1T lemon/lime juice but everything else the same. Make these regularly with rave reviews from everyone! I use it for beef fajitas also and just as good! Cannot recommend this recipe enough.
Aug 20, 2019
Love this recipe. Very tasty!
Aug 7, 2019
Like others, I used 1 T lemon juice and 1T. Lime juice. Just wondeting what people used for the seasoning salt
Aug 3, 2019
Jul 23, 2019
I am from South Texas and this is the best fajita marinade I have ever made. I highly recommend it as is. We did dive the chicken and then cooked it on the stovetop in the marinade.
Jul 20, 2019
Can I make this recipe in the oven, on a sheet pan? If so, time and temp? Thanks!