Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Optional: Minced fresh cilantro and fried tortilla strips
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken and onion in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, bouillon and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, cheese, corn, chiles and hot pepper sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted; add tomato. If desired, top with cilantro and tortilla strips.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 368 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 753mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Oct 25, 2019
Delicious! I love me a good corn chowder and this is definitely that!
Oct 16, 2019
Wonderful chowder. I added frozen cubed potatoes, used chicken broth instead of bouillon, added Rotel, a dash of Worcestershire, half and half, and added crisped diced bacon just before serving. Very good!
Oct 10, 2019
A nice change. I had to make a few adjustments with what I had on hand but overall it's a wonderful soup, simple and quick.
Jul 14, 2019
Excellent , i added some cubed potatoes that I sauteed with fresh corn instead. I also added 1/2 cup of vermouth (white wine would work) and juice of one lime. salt and pepper, more hot sauce if needed to taste.
May 10, 2019
Really good. Didn't have cream style corn so I used a bag of frozen birds Eye steam fresh (10.8 oz.) cooked as package directed. Also have added cooked potatoes or pasta. I will omit the hot sauce and just use ground pepper, a little hot for my taste but that's just my opinion.
Feb 19, 2019
Absolutely delicious! I used a bag of frozen grilled chicken bites from Aldi's and cooked them from frozen with the onion in the butter and then added garlic and proceeded with the recipe. The only other exception I made was instead of a diced tomato and the hot sauce, I added a can of drained mild Rotel tomatoes. This was so good and just perfect for a cold winter night.
Feb 10, 2019
This recipe sounds great! Just what you need in cold, snowy weather! I am going to use taco cheese instead of monterrey jack, salsa, green onions, and a mexican veg mix. I am very allergic to dairy, so I will be using regular almond milk. I plan on making it today. I will let you know how it tastes! I get almost all my recipes from TOH.
Apr 3, 2018
Used homemade chicken broth, added some frozen corn and pepper jack cheese. Delicious!
Dec 30, 2017
Before serving this "chowder" I tasted it, then made some major changes. I removed the cilantro, red pepper sauce and reduced the amount of cumin. Instead of using buillion cubes, I used reduced sodium chicken broth. Then, since it had just a vague "hint" of corn, added one more can of creamed corn and 1 can of whole kernel corn. THEN, this was a true chowder and not a soup.!
Dec 12, 2017
This recipe is very good as written. However, it is a good starting point for a really great chowder! I add a can of white beans, whole kernel corn, chili powder and a 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes. I also used homemade chicken stock in place of the water and bouillon. It is a great chowder! Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor