Cashew Chicken for Four
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups fresh snow peas
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews, toasted
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sherry or broth and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth. Stir in the sugar, vinegar, hoisin sauce, ginger, salt, and remaining soy sauce and sesame oil; set aside.
- Drain chicken and discard marinade. In a large nonstick wok or skillet, stir-fry chicken in 1 teaspoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, stir-fry peas and carrots in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add water chestnuts.
- Return chicken to the pan. Stir sauce mixture and stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Sprinkle with cashews. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 301 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 7, 2014
Needed a little more kick to it. I went exactly by the recipe.
Jul 23, 2012
My husband and I thought this was delicious. My husband said better than the restaurant. I did not have any low sodium broth so just used regular and did use broth in place of the sherry--did not have any of that either. Added 1/4c white onion. It was so good. Would make for company.
Jul 14, 2012
kinda blah - won't make again
Oct 5, 2011
This was very flavorful and we will definitely make this one again!
Oct 10, 2008
This was very good. I didn't have snow peas and made it with broccoli instead. Still tasty and light!
Mar 10, 2008
Delicious! I served it with brown rice. This will become our go-to recipe for cashew chicken.