Cashew Beef Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cold water
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, julienned
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups salted cashews
- Hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water and 2 tablespoons soy sauce until smooth; set aside. In a very large skillet or a wok, stir-fry broccoli and carrots in 1 tablespoon oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the beef, garlic, pepper and remaining soy sauce; stir-fry until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, stir-fry the green and red peppers, onions and squash in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Return beef to the pan.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and gradually add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cashews. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 411 calories, 25g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 816mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 24g protein.
Aug 29, 2017
Everyone liked it, though we all added additional flavorings at the table: more soy sauce, pepper, and a bit of salt. Some of us added wasabi peas to give it more kick. This recipe makes a tremendous amount of stir-fry. We could have cut it in half and had plenty to eat. Other ideas for trying it in the future: use 2 heads of broccoli and half the amount of green and red peppers.
Jun 26, 2012
This is a new family favorite! Quick, easy, and colorful enough that my kids think it is a special dinner.
Jun 24, 2011
My husband and I both enjoyed this very much. I made only half the recipe using a small head of broccoli and a whole small summer squash,normally my husband does not care for peppers at all but he liked them in this.
Mar 24, 2011
I thought this was nothing special. It had no real flavor and the only thing you add is soy sauce. I also found 2 cups of water was too much. And this makes alot.
Mar 6, 2011
I have made this recipe twice and my picky teenager has already requested it again.
Jul 20, 2010
This was nothing special. For anyone who tries this I would highly recommend you saute the beef in one pan and the broccoli and carrots in another. The broccoli got to soft doing it the way the recipes states.
Apr 21, 2010
Cashew beef stir fry is a simple, easy meal to make and tastes absolutely delicious. It's a keeper and going in my recipe box.
Apr 12, 2009
This is a very tasty recipe! I love to eat cashew chicken when we eat at chinese restaurants. Now I can make my own. Great with sliced beef or chicken. My husband loves it also.
Mar 4, 2009
This recipe is so good. Even my fussy husband like it.