Cashew Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup crushed saltines (about 20 crackers)
- 3/4 cup cashew halves
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. In a large bowl, combine the soups, milk and broth. Pour over water chestnuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Toss butter and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over casserole. Top with cashews. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 464 calories, 25g fat (9g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 1095mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Nov 5, 2017
I followed this recipe to the letter and it turned out really runny even after being refrigerated over 24 hrs. Next time I will boil the macaroni in the chicken broth ahead of time but not add the broth to the recipe, just the milk. If it still turns out runny I'll give up. The overall taste is delicious, although I would use shredded cheddar next time instead of velveeta. I also liked the idea of adding peppers for a bit more taste.
Oct 13, 2017
I was wondering if you could use rice instead of macaroni
Jun 6, 2015
Good stuff and I will make this again!
Dec 11, 2013
This is the number one requested dish by my family. I generally make it with homegrown, organic, gluten free and as low sodium ingredients as possible. It is absolutely delicious!! Enjoy!
Nov 28, 2011
I've made this many times over the past 5 years or so. I've never had time to let it set overnight, so I boil the macaroni in the chicken broth, and add only 1/4 cup chicken broth to the dish. Very very good and have made it several times for company. Also I usually don't have velveeta, so i just add some shredded chedder, about 8 oz of it. The more cheese the better! :)
Sep 14, 2011
I prepared everything the night before and baked it when I got home from work the next evening. It was good but we like a bit more spice. When I make it next time, instead of celery, I'll use green chili peppers and maybe a little jalepeno. It's very hearty and filling. It was worth the effort to try something new.
Feb 11, 2011
LOVE this recipe!! It tastes great and is easy enough to convert for our gluten intolerant family of 6
Feb 4, 2010
I used velveeta lite and the healthy requests soups and the no salt crackers. It was good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.