Cashew Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup crushed saltines (about 20 crackers)
- 3/4 cup cashew halves
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer the first 7 ingredients in the order listed. In a large bowl, combine the soups, milk and broth. Pour over water chestnuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Toss butter and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over casserole. Top with cashews. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 464 calories, 25g fat (9g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 1095mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Feb 2, 2019
Well, I planned to make this but didn't realize that this was an overnight dish. No problem. I just cooked the macaroni and threw most everything in a pan and placed it it the oven. This way I could control the amount of liquid I put into the casserole so it was not overly soupy. Family enjoyed it.
Feb 1, 2019
This looks just like a casserole my grandmother used to make. (in the late 60's) One of my favorites! My family doesn't like nuts very much so sadly I usually leave them out. The cashews are my favorite part. Think I will be making this again soon.
Feb 1, 2019
I love this recipe and have made it many times. Instead of the saltine crackers, I crush up Cheez-Its and put them on top. I have also used cream of celery soup instead of the mushroom soup. Good leftover as well.
Nov 5, 2017
I followed this recipe to the letter and it turned out really runny even after being refrigerated over 24 hrs. Next time I will boil the macaroni in the chicken broth ahead of time but not add the broth to the recipe, just the milk. If it still turns out runny I'll give up. The overall taste is delicious, although I would use shredded cheddar next time instead of velveeta. I also liked the idea of adding peppers for a bit more taste.
Oct 13, 2017
I was wondering if you could use rice instead of macaroni
Jun 6, 2015
Good stuff and I will make this again!
Dec 11, 2013
This is the number one requested dish by my family. I generally make it with homegrown, organic, gluten free and as low sodium ingredients as possible. It is absolutely delicious!! Enjoy!
Nov 28, 2011
I've made this many times over the past 5 years or so. I've never had time to let it set overnight, so I boil the macaroni in the chicken broth, and add only 1/4 cup chicken broth to the dish. Very very good and have made it several times for company. Also I usually don't have velveeta, so i just add some shredded chedder, about 8 oz of it. The more cheese the better! :)
Sep 14, 2011
I prepared everything the night before and baked it when I got home from work the next evening. It was good but we like a bit more spice. When I make it next time, instead of celery, I'll use green chili peppers and maybe a little jalepeno. It's very hearty and filling. It was worth the effort to try something new.
Feb 11, 2011
LOVE this recipe!! It tastes great and is easy enough to convert for our gluten intolerant family of 6