Contest-Winning Peanut Chicken Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked thick rice noodles
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- Sesame seeds, optional
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine water, soy sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar, lemon juice, garlic and pepper flakes; set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; stir-fry until no longer pink, 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Stir-fry broccoli and carrot in remaining oil until crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sauce is thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Drain noodles; toss with chicken mixture in pan. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 384 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 fat.
Jan 17, 2020
I'm about to make a version of this and scrolled recipes to see the variety and noticed your home town. Making this dish in Ripon!
Dec 24, 2019
May 2, 2018
This dish was easy but I modified it quite a bit. Used precooked chicken, used frozen broccoli and carrots, added bamboo and water chestnuts. I made a double batch of sauce but I think it could use less peanut butter. Topped it off with Thai Chili sauce to counter some of the peanut butter. Also added some chopped unsalted peanuts for texture. It was tasty and I will try it again.
Oct 1, 2017
I made this & served it over linguine seasoned with 1/4tsp nutmeg, 1/8tsp allspice, 6-8 shakes of soy sauce & 2Tbs butter. Everyone loved it!
Apr 13, 2017
This was delicious! It didn't taste to much like peanut butter at all. I even got it by two family members that don't like peanut butter! Next time I am adding different kinds of veges and serving it with fried rice. Very good and easy to make!
Aug 17, 2016
I added bamboo shoots water chestnuts diced peanuts and used siraccha
Jul 14, 2016
Super easy (especially since I bought a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken thighs a while back and then cubed, packaged and froze them, which saved me that step). I used rice noodles as recommended - yum - but got lazy and just bought a bag of broccoli/carrot slaw. The veggies are already grated, so bite-sized, and the color really comes out when you saute them. I *definitely* will double the sauce next time; it was fine until we added the noodles, and then there just wasn't enough to go around. I, like others, would also at least double the red pepper - hardly any perceptible kick with the amount provided for by the recipe.Definitely a keeper!
Apr 1, 2016
It was very tasty , made it exactly as written exept fettuccine instead of rice noodles. I will make this again ! Next time I will add a bit more red pepper flakes,broccoli and carrots.
Jan 14, 2015
It’s not often that I have a recipe completely fail, but this one just did not turn out for me! I made it for myself & boyfriend - he absolutely hated it. I thought it was ok, but definitely tasted too peanut-buttery (and I love peanut butter). I ended up rinsing off the sauce in a colander and just making a replacement sauce with powdered ginger, soy sauce & a small amount of brown sugar. That greatly improved things, and the chicken still had the slightest hint of peanut butter - which was just enough. If I was going to make this again, I would use only 2 tsp of peanut butter.
Oct 20, 2014
Awesome quick meal for a weeknight. Used linguine, next time I will kick up the heat and use more crushed red pepper.